spotsearch

Friday, July 20, 2007

Why the iPhone Changes Everything

I was one of the early adopters that bought the iPhone. I even wrote a review of it here. So, after two weeks, I have to say, it is a device that really does change everything. In my opinion, it's the first mobile device that really works as a multi-function cell phone, internet browser, PDA, and music player. For example, here are some of the things I used the iPhone for just today.
* I woke up to the morning alarm I programmed for every Monday-Friday.
* I checked email at least 10 times on it.
* I checked my stocks at least half a dozen times during the day.
* I looked up the address of a restaurant for lunch using the Google Maps app.
* I listened to music a couple of times throughout the day, both with headphones and with the built-in speakers.
* I checked the weather forecast with the built-in app.
* I took a picture of some notes I made on a whiteboard.
* I added a calendar event with an alarm for next week.

It's really a multi-function device that works. And on top of all its features, it's stylish and beautiful too. Being a first generation device, it's obvious there are so many ways that the applications and device could be improved. All of that will happen soon enough. But, today, you can get a glimpse of the future of tomorrow with the iPhone. I am quite certain that the iPhone will follow the path of the iPod. The first generation is an aspirational device, a luxury gadget. But, soon enough, cheaper, better versions will move down the price ladder and into the mass market. Each new version will be a refinement of the previous version, bringing new features, improvements on existing features, cheaper prices, and more variety.

My biggest criticism is that I think Apple needs to be more developer-friendly. That they graciously allow people to develop web-based applications is laughably inadequate. Their closed-platform mentality is very disappointing, both from a developer perspective and a consumer perspective. I hope they will embrace the huge developer community that can make the iPhone a platform for the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home